Monday, November 9, 2009

Technology and me

Something that's been really interesting for me has been being a student in the year 2009 and what that means technologically. The last time that I was in school was 1993-1995 when I was in graduate school and while I actually did have an email and did chat rooms the last year of school, the internet was just beginning back then and was nothing like it is today. I'm finding that while I'm somewhat of a technological idiot, that the internet especially is really helpful in learning Anatomy and Physiology.

First of all my textbook has a companion website. I credit my A in my first term of A&P to that website. Each chapter has labeling exercises, an MP3 lecture that you can listen to and put on your Ipod, and a myriad of quizzes along with an end of the chapter test. The lab book has pictures of the models and cadavers and such that we need to look at and also has quizzes and reviews. It's very helpful in preparing for the tests and quizzes to do these exercises.

Another thing that I'm really digging on is the PCC website. Each instructor has a course website where they post the power points, handouts, and other documents as well as have an area for discussion, like an online bulletin board for the class. In my cell biology class my teacher assigned us to respond to 5 online discussion questions over the course of the term. It was cool because then you could also see what everyone else was writing about. My teacher this term posts our grades online (it's not a public posting, just you can see it) so that you can keep track of how you are doing class by class. And the PCC site also gives access to the library, including being able to read articles and stuff in the comfort of your own home. You don't have to actually go to the library to do research anymore!

Finally, there are so many sites that have really helpful information that help you study. One of my favorites is Web Anatomy from the University of Minnesota: http://msjensen.cehd.umn.edu/Webanatomy/
This site rocks because there are all kinds of self quizzes with pictures where you have to choose the correct names of things. I found this really helpful for learning the bones and muscles.

Anyway, it's a different world now for the student and tomorrow I'm going to take it to another level. I went to the Apple store yesterday and the guy said that I can use Garage Band on my laptop to record the lecture, that I don't have to buy one of those recorder things. I'm totally going to check it out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment