Friday, November 13, 2009

Sleep deprivation

This term has been particularly challenging not only because of the subject material in my Anatomy class, but also because of my work and school schedules not meshing very well. I work as a telephone crisis counselor Wednesday-Saturday early bird shift. The starting times on my shifts change a bit, but on the days after I have my evening classes I have to be at work at either 4:30 or 5AM. I get out of class at 8:50PM Tue/Thu and 9:30PM Wed. To say that I walk around in a zombie-like daze Wednesday-Friday is somewhat of an understatement. It's very difficult to operate on a semi-normal level with only 4-5 hours of sleep under your belt.

Last week I had an exam on Tuesday night and was so wired up from being worried about it that I had total insomnia that night. I think I got maybe 3 hours of sleep and then had to be ready to go and talk with suicidal and/or crazy people for 8 hours. Nothing like trying to talk down a suicidal person at 4:30AM, sleep or no sleep. Plus I'm trying to cut down on coffee because it was increasing my anxiety. I'm drinking mate instead which still has some juice to it, but it doesn't give that kick like a cup of good ol' joe. Sometimes I break down and have a latte if it's the day after a night with less sleep than usual or if I'm particularly stressed out at work.

Next semester will be better. I plan to take a class that only meets once/week in the evening for the lecture, and then will take the lab once/week during one of my days off from work. My other class will be online and so I can do it on my timeline. I know that everyone prepping for nursing school and in nursing school has their own version of tough times, but I can't help but think that this semester has got to be up there in the top ten as far as rough ones go.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you! Good luck in school! I loved it.. may even go back. Call sometime :)

    Rowan

    ReplyDelete